Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

Our last afternoon and evening in NYC

So we wanted to go on the high line, but part of it was closed during the day so we saved it for when we could do in the afternoon.  Except when we got there, that section was definitely still not open for real.  Fail.   

But let’s back up.  The highline is essentially similar to a rail trail, but think a mono-rail-trail in that it’s elevated.  The starting point was a ways from the hotel and I quite enjoyed the hike there since it was far less touristy (which I completely ruined by having a blast w my camera; but to be fair, I do that in Toronto too lol).   


Chris made a new friend!


We eventually found one end of the trail and admittedly got a little turned around but eventually sorted ourselves out (yeah finding a map with “you are here” lol - there’s a surprising shortage of those in NYC anywhere!  Subways, tourist areas, shopping malls…. Surprisingly few of them tell you where you’re starting when you’re trying to figure out where to go; if they exist at all!)


I'm not sure I loved the tree itself, but I did enjoy this photo


Anyways we got there and it really was gorgeous and very well designed, with some calm spaces, some history spaces, some kid spaces, and some 'just enjoy fewer cars and more tress' spaces, but when we got to where we had to skip a few blocks for constructionwe weren’t really sure where to pick it up again and tbh, my hips were *not* happy with me.  This is the first time ever I haven’t been able to walk as long and as far as I want for endless days in a row with no issue and I was *not* impressed.  


Pausing to take a break is never a bad thing;
*needing to* can be humbling


So I wasn’t super into wandering aimlessly without knowing where we were going even though I very much wanted to do the whole tour.  So when we accidentally saw something else really random, we abandoned the rest of the high line and went to visit it.


If nothing else, it made for a good photo


What was “it”?  Well we really weren’t sure but looked kinda like the most random staircase in the world.   That was closed indefinitely lol.  Classic.   There was a screen set up w relaxing chairs for an outdoor viewing of some sort.  And a mall nearby for those with more disposable income than we have lol.  We went in there partially for a few moments of AC and partially to use the facilities before returning to tourist-central.


On the way back we picked up a few souvenirs - went to see if there were any more cheap broadway tickets, but nothing in our price range we were interested in seeing and, well, three days in a row seemed excessive ;-P.   


This was the closest we got to Broadway shows today ;)


By this point we were tired and hangry and had failed to find food that appealed so we ended up going to the same place as before - lots of beers for C to choose from and slushies available both alcoholic and non.   We went back and vegged at the hotel for a bit, packed and generally got ready to go home tomorrow before one last milkshake run (walk!) 


Not a bad way to wrap out a lovely long summer day of walking


Overall I'm really glad we came, and incredibly ready to go home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment