Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

How has it been 15 years?!?!

So shortly before my 30th birthday, I wrote a post about 30 things in 30 years.   In reality probably 5-10 of them were important and a bunch were just included to get to 30, but that's what the internet challenge was and it was very timely that it happened right at that particular milestone.   At 35 I wrote a check-in/follow up on it.  And at 40... I just kinda let it go ;).  So I decided that at *gasp* 45 and half way through the 30 things, maybe I should checkin and see where we're at.

And what's really interesting to me is how the importance of some things has changed dramatically, some of it has evolved but the root is conceptually the same.   In the interest of my sanity, I've removed the ones deemed completed by 35 ;).  

2 Earn PhD - changed this to my MBA for purely practical purposes and am deeming it complete ;).  I may someday do a phd cause, well, professional student ;). But I don't expect it to be till after I retire, and I *do* expect it to be in a completely arbitrary and not particularly career-oriented field.
5 Repay student loan - about that *facepalm* - also, let's extend to all debt in general.  Adulting sucks sometimes.
6 Get (and learn to use!) a serious camera - done - see Africa and Dog Park pics for proof :).  Always room for improvement, and again, this one will continue.  But for the intent of this list, complete.
7 Sleep - actually getting better at this?!?!  lol still not good, but better than I have been in my adult life.  This is one of the ones that amuses me to realise how consistent a thing it's been in my life.
8 Learn enough Latin to be able to read medieval texts - couldn't care less anymore, but AM passionate about learning Spanish to at least pass B2 level.   It stays on the list with the Spanish rewrite.
10 Make time for self - significantly improved and undoubtably tied to why 7 has improved.  
11 Make time for friends (hmmm do these two conflict?) - ironically I see my friends a lot less now than I did before, partially because I moved too far away and partially because real life on all parts.  However, I actually think I'm far better now at making time when it's important than I ever was before.   Those who know can contradict me if you so choose ;).  Otherwise, I'm marking this done.  Or potentially evolving it to "see a non-work friend at least once a month" lol - that's probably a better start!
13 Compete intermediate level eventing - didn't happen.  Given the state of the sport combined with my life, probably will never happen.  Partially disappointed, partially moved on so far from that world it's almost surreal.   This could possibly be restated as "start riding again in a way that makes me smile"
16 Travel: visit Egypt, South Africa, Ireland  - Tanzania was a good start!  Galapagos is now also on this list ;)
17 See the northern lights 
18 Change someone's life (preferably for the better!) - I'm going to say this is done.  I know I've done it through work.  I suspect I've done it through volunteering.  I hope I've done it for those I'm closest to, but even without, I'm confident in marking this one complete :)
19 Get a massage - so done.  Regret it took me so many years to realise how much I would benefit from these ;)
20 Buy some fashionable clothes - not done and am old enough that I no longer care.  😂 Updated to replace clothing before it's unwearable.   Bonus points if it happens to look good.  lol but in reality, just removing this one.
21 Ride Trans-Wales Trail - STILL want to do this!   Not sure how I'll get fit for it w no horse to ride, but company still exists so potentially still achievable
22 Do something w/ genealogy notes - I feel like this is getting moved to retirement.   I still care, but not a time-sensitive priority and not even sure where all the notes went at this point.
23 Climb to the top of a Mayan pyramid - I'm not sure if this is still culturally appropriate?  If so, still on the list.
24 Go on a Canadian road trip w/ no predetermined destination - I'm going to mark this close enough to done thanks to the Maritime trip with Mum; we had a destination but changed it so many times it counts :).  And super open to more!
28 Parasail - done.  With Chris on our trip to the Dominican Republic.  Sadly no good photos :(   Tried to buy one from the pros and even that didn't work out.   Booo :). But the experience still made me smile, although surprisingly not one I enjoyed as much as I'd expected.   

So, sometime in the next 15 years I'll check in and see how it's going.   Partially, I just can't believe how long this BLOG has been active.  Wild.   In the interest of new short and longer term goals I'd add:
- Be able to hold a handstand for at least 30 seconds
- Learn to play piano
- Learn to draw
- Improve work/life balance (aka a job I enjoy and am challenged by that I can do in a normal amount of hours that doesn't require an insane commute)
- Be fit and active in whatever way amuses me at the moment

Till next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment