So I started my new job on Wednesday, so of *course followed that up by right after work on Thursday leaving to pick up our new puppy! Not gonna lie, an extra week here would've been good for my sanity. However, here we are :)
I can't believe it's been less than 24h. Here goes...
| She is super interested in everything |
The drive to Hannover took us just under 3h (previous visits have been about 2h20min so that wasn't the best start ;). However, we got there and got loaded up and were home again by about 10:30. Luxor was good on the ride home, slept some and spent a lot of it investigating and crawling around the limited amount I would let her go. Yes I realize she probably should've been in a crate, but after seeing her reaction to the crate when we got home I'm just as glad we didn't try that in the car first! And sometimes you just have to snuggle your new puppy.
| Getting used to her new home |
Her first night was good. It took about 10-15 mins of extreme puppy temper tantrum (puts Mori's yelling to shame!) and then she slept for more than 6h. So a definite win. Sadly I did *not* sleep anywhere near that long so made today even more of a challenge.
Chris took her out first thing this am and gave her a bit of breakfast before putting her back in her crate for a bit. When I got up a little later I did the rest of her breakfast, with lots of real basics - teaching her that "yes" is a good word and to follow a food lure. She thought that was a great game. Very willing to engage for both food and treats. Also entirely willing to go into the crate -- she just doesn't love staying there after ;)
| Meeting Enola |
I was working today so tried to plan puppy time around meetings, and relied on Chris for when that didn't work out. Overall, it worked out very well. Lots of go out, play, train a bit, sleep, rinse and repeat most of the day. Only had a couple minor accidents - one of which was in the crate when C and I were both out, so that resulted in needing to clean both crate AND puppy. She was not amused.
| Exploring the back yard |
Overall though, she's happy to run back and forth between Chris and I, she's extremely curious and adventurous, yet just a little cautious -- she has gone in the pond, entirely of her own volition, and met Nola -- which she was very not sure about but took on slowly while Nola was throughly ignoring her while eating treats ;) She also really likes to hide under things, so I have high hopes eventually the crate will go over well. When she's exposed to something new she explores it, approaches and retreats a few times, and then decides the world is good.
| Exploring the pond - she found it, went all the way in, and came back out |
She's had an unreasonable amount of treats along with her actual food - we'll have to right size that 😂 But for day 1, how can you not? No drive today, so she'll need to go for a car ride tomorrow. That's where she'll need to learn about the backseat - I think we're going to drive around to the other side of the house so I can take care of the roses 😂 So exciting. I will be a happy human when we get to walking on a leash but we're not there yet.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that's the highlights. Cross your fingers for us that we both get some sleep tonight - C is off for two weeks tomorrow, so we'll be on our own, and I still need to make sure Mori gets his attention too!
| Moriarty - The original formally dressed chaos goblin |
0 comments:
Post a Comment