Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

Egypt - Abu Simbel

 

Abu Simbel was amazing

Abu Simbel was today’s adventure and it was amazing.  This one was an extra that wasn’t cheap; I know Chris wasn’t too convinced re the price tag, but agreed because I wanted it.   Afterwards, unlike some of the other excursions, this one both of us were extremely happy we’d gone.   It was incredible.


Notice the lack of people...   Not photoshopped.


The airport was a confusing act of frustration but our new guide helped us navigate.  Once again there were multiple security checks - all of which were gender segregated.  We also had to write our name and passport number in a book.  I had to do it twice?!?  I don’t think the person there understood I’d already done it once.  The whole thing was not my favourite experience and others had far more challenges - it was extremely helpful to have Mohammed there to navigate that for us.


Zoom in for Chris being Chris for scale ;)


So apparently it’s the first time in several weeks a flight has gone - others have had to drive.  We were merged with the Trafalgar Tour group - but even still, maybe 15 or 20 people?   On the flight we are all well spread out - the only two kids on the trip (who are lovely - tween/teen age) got themselves bumped up to first class.  Their parents stayed in the back with the rest of us lol.  It was less than an hour flight so no real service impact, just bragging rights for the kids. Also, Hosnee (our guide for the earlier days) gave us the spiel about it before we even arrived, so we prioritized adventuring and exploring the temples over standing in the sun to listen to a story we’d already heard.


I still can't believe we got to be the ONLY ones in this temple


I spent my waiting time playing with google translate’s screen capture - pointing my phone at arabic ads and seeing the (or at least ‘an’) English translation.  Were they perfect?  Probably not.  Were they sufficient?  Absolutely.  I could “read” the receipt for Chris’ coffee and verify we were charged what we ordered.


Google Translate Example


When we arrived, we learned we were the only tour of the day.  Like 15-20 people, the only ones at the whole place.  And honestly - it was phenomenal.  Right up there with the tomb of Ramses IV in the Valley of the Kings, but for different reasons.


Colours, art, and carvings that have outlasted civilizations


Abu Simbel, so incredibly worth the added trip to get there.  These two temples are dedicated to Ramses ii and his favorite wife Nefertari, they were cut into thousands of pieces and moved up the mountain to get away from flooding when the dam was built.   Since they were originally built into a cliff, they recreated that here and did it in a way that feels authentic.


There weren't many places we couldn't go, but not none.


Two more temples that were relocated for their protection when the dam would’ve flooded them — an amazing work effort shepherded by UNESCO.  The process to rebuild was impressive and the results are stunning and extremely well done.  The site itself includes the temple for Ramses the 2nd (aka Ramses the Builder) and the smaller one for his wife, Nefertiti.  


There were so many of these side rooms -
and each one was completely filled with hieroglyphs
 and the ceiling was comparatively low 

After Abu Simbel we flew back to Aswan to drop off those that were going back to the cruise, and then off to Cairo.  Cairo hasn’t gotten any calmer!   On the ride to the hotel I could feel my tension rising by the second, and I wasn’t even driving!  Like 6-10 lanes (and I use that word extremely loosely), pedestrians wandering out in the middle, bikes everywhere with multiple people stacked on top, people going any direction - including directly across, constant horns (cause no lanes so you have to tell people you’re coming up behind them).   It is an experience.  For me I think once is enough 


Chris for scale

 

Also - we’ve passed hundreds of people either on the street or in/on other vehicles - I’m pretty sure I could count the women on my fingers with extras left over.  This is not a vibe I love.  However, I’m looking forward to tomorrow and very excited for the next day :)



Lazily guarding the hotel


More random photos cause I can :)



It was fairly windy - I kept losing my hat and eventually gave up 😂 


Side room



Looking from inside out


So stunning



Just loved this shot so we'll end with this :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment