Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

Luxi learns to swim

 Luxi is three months old today, and today she swam for the first time!

She had another big day today - not entirely planned that way, but things happen 🤷‍♀️ 

So started w Luxi accompanying Chris on a random short errand, but they stumbled upon “touch the truck” an event for firefighters, police, and paramedics - and all their vehicles.   Now Chris is none of the above, but he did have an adorable black and white puppy with him so joined in.  Luxi got to meet and be fawned over many people - and also get introduced to a fire truck :).  Alas, no pictures, but super cute.


She came home and despite trying to convince us she wasn’t tired, had a great nap.


She loves the dog floaty
It has been a great way to introduce her to the concept


Then we went to Janie and Braulio’s for her next swimming lesson.  We started with the puppy floaty which she knows and is confident on.  Then we did some walking on the steps - she really doesn’t like this, and I wasn’t successful in convincing her to step in (it’s a bigger step than onto the floaty).  Then I held her in the water a foot or so away from Chris sitting on the steps, and holding her in the water, all four legs started going so he called her and I gave her a bit of a hand but mostly let her go.  Did it again and no hand required.  Win.   All The Treats.


So from there I moved farther and farther back.  About half way across the shallow end, I was ready to call it but C really wanted her to try the width, so we did - w me right with her in case of problem or misdirection.  I did have to redirect slightly (no deep end swimming today!) but didn’t have to help.  Gave her lots of treats and celebration.  She was looking like a drowned rat but not at all concerned.


So we brought the floaty back to have her and on something super easy, and then let her run around the yard and play w a toy we’d brought.  Wet puppy zoomies are just about the most fun thing ever!


Learning to be a patio puppy


Then the plan was to stop at the taco truck, which has picnic tables outside, for a quick dinner and “cafe puppy” socialization opportunity.  Except it was packed and the line was insane, so we skipped that step.  C suggested a patio which is way beyond her training but we knew this one and it was quiet and dog friendly so we tried it.   I had her bed (which she has very positive associations with), her dinner, and a couple chew toys.  She was *amazing* almost till the end.  Way longer than I would’ve expected, and way longer than was fair for her training and exp level.  Even at the end she wasn’t bad, just done.   So once our food eventually arrived we ate quickly and brought her home for a proper sleep.


And now it’s time to wake her up so she has time to be awake before bed 😂 








0 comments:

Post a Comment