Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

When left to my own devices I discover all kinds of randomness

Some completely random things that I've recognised an appreciation for this week: 

Olympic announcers who can make a sport comprehensible to people who have potentially never even heard of it before while not sounding condescending- done right it can drive a real new interest in the sport.  Sports I’ve learned a ton about this week starting from zero:

  • Surfing (hurry up and wait taken to the extreme 🤣); announcers need to fill a lot of empty space
  • Skateboarding (the park variation - I still can’t get over the age range of these competitors: 11-50)
  • Speed climbing, and also the boulder/lead climbing 
  • Kayak cross (this to me is steeplechase with the potential of drowning!   lol would be a blast if I had skills and were the only one on the course but no way I’d want to do it w other kayakers ;))
  • Breakdancing - ok gotta admit I didn’t love this one enough to learn much about it, but at least I know a little bit about it now...  

Translators of musicals.  I’ve been informed that what I need most to improve my Spanish is intake - active or passive doesn’t really matter but has to be understandable to me; sheer volume is what I need and preferably listening rather than reading.  So while I was practicing drawing, I put the TV on for passive Spanish (usually it’s just off unless C is home.  Or this week on Olympics which I’m loving) and set it to Disney.  Some of the ones I watched I’ve only seen once or twice so I couldn’t tell you the lyrics in English to know if they did a good job of changing them.  But the one I knew by heart I was super impressed- obv not always a literal translation but the same meaning, the same intent, and with words that suit the rhythm, tone, and rhyme requirements of the song.  That takes translation to a whole new level and I am in awe.


Teaching strategies that I’ve either experienced or picked up from others in all kinds of areas that I’m learning are rooted in science that makes me appreciate coaches who got there before the science did ❤️.   But also makes me 💯 more likely to apply it knowing *why* it works.   Also - if this sort of thing interests you, highly recommend the first section of “The Talent Code”.   I’m not finding much new in it (but, to be fair, I read a lot about adult learning - although this book is applicable to any age) but the way it’s put together and the science behind WHY it works, I’m finding fascinating.  It’s also a light and easy read, which helps.

0 comments:

Post a Comment