Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

Spanish silliness

lol excellent - just in time for slushy season!

Omg this made me laugh. 

Background: So I’m studying for a Spanish exam that I’m pretty sure is beyond my capabilities. It’s in Nov and my teacher is convinced I can be strong enough to pass by then. This exam is global, and being one of the most widely spoken languages on the planet, there are a lot of resources online to help one prepare. One of the most consistent pieces of advice is to read and listen to Spanish specifically from Spain. The reason from Spain is that while every “standard” Spanish dialect is acceptable to use on the exam, almost all the reading and listening will come from Spain. Hmmm good tip. Cause other than my current teacher, who lives in Spain, literally every exposure to Spanish I have is from Latin America.

So I asked said teacher for sources and got some really solid YouTubers and a few news sites. What made me laugh today was when I signed into the Health section of Spanish CNN the highlighted article is about how small amounts of alcohol can lower stress. You know, like the stress caused by a self-imposed decision to take an impossible exam ;). Snarky me appreciates that. There have also been studies about how non-native speakers speak much more fluently when slightly intoxicated. Might be time to rethink the whole not drinking thing ;)

Related frustration - almost every "article" of interest to me on CNN's site is a video.  Presumably useful for listening practice but super frustrating when the point is reading news articles.  Sheesh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment