Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

I wonder if the Dunning-Kruger actually enables people to try new things cause they're hooked before they realise how hard it is???

Moderately amused recently and feel like I’m “so close” to getting it but actually have no f’ing idea where I am on the Dunning-Kruger scale.  It’s highly plausible those who have some clue would role their eyes the same way I do when somebody who has done a trail ride once “knows how to ride” lol

When you don't know what you don't know it seems easy.  
And then you learn ;-P


Brilliance or disaster is super frustrating.  The only saving grace is almost always after a brutal day, I *expect* the next one to be awesome so I’m super pumped when I go in.  Esp if there was a rest day inbetween.  This will be a real issue when it doesn’t work lol, but so far I’m enough of a beginner it’s fine.


Things I’ve learned recently:

  • When you are on your phone (audio only) you cannot use your video to record practice sessions.  Arguably this might be for the best ;)
  • Being upside down makes me feel like a kid; so does cartwheeling out - esp if I land on my feet lol.   At some point I may need to learn to do a proper cartwheel, but today is not that day
  • When filming outside, keep phone in the shade ;)
  • When filming if at all possible film from the side that you *don’t* bail on cause otherwise you’ll have many many a** shots as a result ;).  I have seen more closeups of my derrière than any human ever should lol.  I try to crop that before sending to Elaine for help - she shouldn’t have to suffer too!
  • It is super beyond frustrating to not be able to stick the balance.  I’ve always had excellent balance - the fact that it was never upside down should be irrelevant ;).  And my unicorn farts glitter too ;-P
  • Time passes much more slowly when upside down; this was in the last blog post but it’s still true!
  • When I remember to actually push through my shoulders, my balance is shockingly better.  Imagine that *eyeroll*  Form follows function in most sports lol.  There are videos, esp in the L holds, where you can literally see the second I remembered I should do that lol
  • My strength is improving faster than literally any other program I’ve ever done.  Bar none.  And I’ve tried a LOT of them!   Lol.  When I started I couldn’t even support my body weight on my wrists (like plank / push-ups / etc I always did with hands tented).   Apparently this is normal for office jobs.  Not okay.  Esp not okay if you want to do a handstand lol.  In videos I’m seeing visible definition appearing in arms, shoulders, and core which is super motivating when all I do is kick up, come down, kick up, come down, endlessly with no actual balance achieved.   I thought I was done with up/down lessons!!!
  • Codicil - strength is *really* important.  When I started I could only hold a few seconds at a time.  The other day I clued in that if I’d like to hold a balance pose for 30 seconds, I’d better be able to hold the position that way on the fence at *least* that long.  It is no problem.  Even at the end of a workout.  I may struggle to get up or engage my core once I’m there, but at least wrists and arms can do their part.  And core is close.  I figure by the time I get the balance sorted my upper body is going to be awesome!  Apollo arms +++ (those who know…)
  • Increasing lower core strength = less back pain.  Awesome side effects
  • Rest days are critical
  • Mobility and flexibility far more important that Day 1 me would've ever imagined.  I had figured out upper body strength and balance (albeit did not assign enough responsibility to core), but somehow never clued in to the other two.  See Dunning-Kruger above lol.   I’m currently limited by my shoulder flexibility.  Getting better but meh.
  • Progress vids are SO important, esp when stuck.  I looked back recently through the blog posts and the first couple days?!? What a difference!  These are super important when nothing seems to be getting better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment