Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allan Poe

So I've been having the weirdest dream-within-a-dream thing happening lately and it's just a little bit creeping me out. More creeping me out by the fact that it's happened a few times in succession. The first one was really scary. In that one, I don't recall the set-up but I was in serious danger from something and then something happened that was nqr and I thought "wait a second, that can't be real, I must be in a dream." And then I woke up. But I woke up to a scarier situation that involved something massive falling (I was in a warehouse of some sort and whatever this was was suspended from the ceiling) that was going to squish me and I was trying to figure out how to get out of the way. And right before it squished me I woke up for real. But the way I was facing the shadows resembled the item that I'd been trying to figure out how to avoid in the last one so took a min to realize a, I was really awake, and b, the world was not caving in. Sounds so stupid but my heart was pounding louder and faster than my alarm clock does and I was instantly WIDE awake -- if a little disoriented! The next time wasn't scary at all, and never had the realization of dreaming that the first one did. I just "woke up" in another dream and continued on my merry way until I woke up again. The only reason it registered was because it was so close in timing to the scary one. That and the fact that I can't remember ever having experienced that before. Only other thing I can think of that's ever come close is dreaming that I'm getting up and ready for work/school while instead I've actually turned off the alarm clock and gone back to sleep. And let me tell you, that's a HUGE waste of a late-day. If I'm going to sleep in and be late, I want it to be for a fun dream! hahaha In real life though, things are good :) Business plan is ready to go. I'm still tweaking of course (oh comeon, I'll *always* be tweaking. It's like the website - there's no such thing as done!) but it's presentable at least. Have a few new students lined up for Sept and one old student who just returned last week (welcome back M! :) Always fun. Except she grew up >;-P She was a little kid last time I saw her and now she's about 15 and a real person :) Really it's only been a couple years, but in maturity and personality the difference was pretty kewl. Sent entries for Cedar Run. hahaha could be interesting. We're setting the bar super-high with primary goals of, in order: "keep horse between rider and ground", "don't get eliminated" and "keep horse's brain between ears". Secondary goal is "jump clear". I would like to accomplish all four of those. You'll notice none of them are connected to dressage *g* To be fair, her dressage is actually reasonable these days -- but not when goal 3 is still in the list. Said pony's been awesome lately. But then, we haven't been off the property since June *sigh*. Wonder how many XC schools I can get in in a week and a half? *g* Coined a new term at work today. Basement Nav. As in the navigation at the bottom of a website that's traditionally a site-map but when they've removed pieces thereby making it not much of a map. Also works for the links to legalese etc that you find down in the basement of the page :) And yes it's entirely possible that section already has a name, but I like my version :) And for the curious -- the poem the subject line was stolen from: Take this kiss upon the brow! And, in parting from you now, Thus much let me avow-- You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream. I stand amid the roar Of a surf-tormented shore, And I hold within my hand Grains of the golden sand-- How few! yet how they creep Through my fingers to the deep, While I weep--while I weep! O God! can I not grasp Them with a tighter clasp? O God! can I not save One from the pitiless wave? Is all that we see or seem But a dream within a dream?

0 comments:

Post a Comment