Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

“In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.” - Nietzsche

I came across this post which caught my eye mostly cause of the subject line (above) n then I enjoyed it so I figured I'd share. Enjoy!


Batman for a day – and forever -- by Tim Cork

Thirteen years ago, on Halloween, I took my kids to school dressed as Batman. I was a big hit at their school, not only with my own children but also with their friends and even their teachers. After I dropped them off, I went speeding off to work in my Batmobile – my black BMW. Speeding is the right word. My adrenaline was pumping and I didn’t realize just how fast I was driving. A minute later, a policeman pulled me over.

As he got out of his car and started walking toward the Batmobile, he caught sight of how I was dressed. A little smile flickered across his face as he asked me to roll down the window.

“Where are you going, Batman?” he asked.

“Gotham City,” I said.

“Very funny,” he replied, and then told me that I had been speeding and he was going to have to ticket me.

“Officer,” I said, “I just dropped my kids off at school and everyone was so excited by how I was dressed, I guess I kind of got caught up in the moment.”

The officer said he had two young kids himself. I could tell I had connected with him. Then he said, “Take off the mask.”

“I’m sorry, I can’t do that,” I said. “I cannot reveal my identity.”

“A ticket will be coming your way if you don’t oblige.”

I held my ground, and, fortunately, he relented. Fun and humour saved the day.

I wore the Batman suit into my office and walked around for a while before going to my office. People got a big kick out of trying to guess who was behind the mask.

That evening I got back into the costume and went trick-or-treating with my kids. They really enjoyed their dad being part of the action. When we arrived home I climbed on the roof and spread my wings in the moonlight, creating quite the scene for the entire neighbourhood.

I tell this story to point out that you must have fun in life. Smile, laugh and enjoy every day! Never take yourself too seriously. No one else is! Take what you do seriously though. When you take yourself too seriously you are in danger or crossing over from self-confidence to arrogance. There is no room in this world for arrogant people. What are you thoughts??

Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”
– Theodor Geisl (Dr. Seuss)

1 comments:

Love the story, and really agree with everything!

 

Post a Comment