Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

Today I had recess and nap time. Who says you have to grow up?

Soooo much fun today that I am definitely going to feel tomorrow.

I dragged my husband out to Pursuit OCR where I've wanted to go for ages.  Picture kids at a playground -- climbing on things, swinging from monkey bars, etc.   Now remember being that kid.  Then realize, this one place, you can be that kid as an adult.

I'm not even kidding.

So this...  gym?  Obstacle course?  Playground?   Is adults only and alcohol free (as it's promoting fitness).   Their basic goal is just to get adults moving, and having fun while they're doing so.  Fitness level?  We saw a wide variety.   I'm at the least fit I've been in years *sigh* and had a blast.  While realizing it would've been even more fun if I'd been a *little* stronger.  Conversely, we saw some people who were seriously built, and some who may never have been in a traditional gym.  But mostly, we saw a ton of people having fun and cheering each other on.  Complete strangers helping others through the various obstacles and no impatience from those waiting a turn.   Was a very positive environment.  At least today ;)

Side note -- I left my phone in the car, so no pics from me :(.  Google however...

When you first go in there's one of those walls people run straight up.   Well, some people.

Ummmm maybe later.    (All pics shamelessly stolen from their website or Google)
But also at the entrance is the start of the course which involves going over or through a small block, climb up some blocks and away we go.

All obstacles were optional.  This was the start -- over, under, or through :)
So the first thing we are upon was a "the floor is lava" challenge (of which there were a few).   This one those with significant upper body strength could swing from the ceiling, for the rest of us, it was easy to navigate along the side -- giggling all the way.

The floor is lava!
This was immediately followed by another floor is lava game -- one of jumping from side to side across a tunnel, or using ropes to swing.  I used the ropes and had a blast!   Also not a ton of strength required.

After succeeding through that we were faced with a trampoline leading to a series of very far spaced monkey bars.   After a few tentative bounces on the trampoline that didn't get me anywhere near the first bar, I opted out of this one and made a mad dash across the bouncy mat.   Chris, however, not only got to the first bar, but on only the second attempt made the flying leap across all three bars.  Very cool!

A little hazy on details here -- lots of giggling and fun, but the items may be out of order or incomplete as it's now a nap and several hours later ;).  Also, that nap was very required.

So pretty sure the leap of faith between the bars was followed by a rock wall (which I've always loved) and then the laser course!   Lol this was done with black light and bungee cords -- just as well, as we would've failed lasers horribly!   The guys all seemed to belly crawl their way through, most of the girls seemed to be trying to pick their way through.  I did that till the very end when I got stuck and gave in to the belly crawl.  Faster for sure, but not nearly as much fun ;)

Don't touch the lasers!
We climbed up a level to be greeted to a rope mesh bridge to be navigated.   This bridge was over the bike course that wraps around under parts of the course.  Chris ran across this with only one tragic mishap that ended w/ him all kinds of tangled.   The first time I was not up to that and walked along the side -- a navigation challenge in itself, but a different one.   However later when I was waiting a turn for something else with no-one behind us, I went back and did it properly.  Lol I think this ended up actually being my favourite one.  I wanted to go back at the very end and do it once more, but by then the place was crowded and I didn't know a shortcut to get there so left it for another day.

Then we had a foam pit with two bars over top.   I didn't even look at the bars, just took a flying leap into the foam pit.  So much fun.  Chris navigated properly, getting hold of the bar and then kicking his feet up and over so he could move along it.   I did give that an effort, but not quite enough strong enough to get my feet up.   Next time ;).  I've deemed this round was the baseline one.  Now go away, improve my fitness, or at least strength, then try again...

After that was the rings, also over a foam pit.  I didn't expect to get past the first one, but I got three and fell on four.  Which of the other people we watched matched the best of the women.   A couple of the men made it through.  Chris made all but the very last, by taking a diagonal route instead of straight through, so there's definitely strategy involved as well as strength.   Seriously though, dropping into the foam pit is arguably as much or more fun than actually completing the challenge.

This was followed by some climbing through a tunnel and then down a slide.  Wheeee.   And the slide led... to a ball pit!!!   I'm not even kidding.   I took a flying leap and promptly sunk.   Lol. This is the adult version, once I got my feet under me and managed to stand, the balls were well over my elbows.  I had expected the balls to be harder and was a little concerned that jumping in might be a bad idea, but no, all good.   What I *didn't* expect was how challenging it would be to navigate the pit!  I now understand why kids sleep so well after being in those things.  It took more effort  for me to get through the pit than any other obstacle we did...  There was a rope attached at the far end that you could pull yourself out.  Or better yet -- other people could pull you out ;).  Chris and random stranger may have helped me and another woman with that.   I would've made it on my own no problem, just a longer wait for Chris.  But the other woman was definitely struggling and after she got a tow out, I decided to take advantage of the same offer :)  Fun. So much fun.  But wow.

We were coming toward where this photo was taken.
And that ended the course part of things, but underneath the course was a bike track.  Or rather, a trike track ;).  Yup, adult-sized tricycles and a "drift track" so as you went around if you hit the turns right you could spin your bike out.   Honestly, while I wanted to try it, I wasn't expecting much from this.  But it was So Much Fun.  WAY more than I'd ever anticipated.   The first round I did a little tentatively, but after that it was full on.  lol.  Line of the day went to Chris who described it as "It's like Mario Cart, but they're tricking you into exercising."

After that, I gave the wall a try.  Yeah - this is where you run flat out at a sloping ramp that quickly goes vertical.   Brilliant idea.   Lol failed horribly ;-P.  Not surprising that since I don't run well on the ground, it didn't work terribly well to run straight up, but hey ;).  I tell you, it's quite the mental challenge to convince yourself to run with any speed directly at a wall.  Self-preservation hold.

This was my first effort; I didn't know it was being filmed ;)

Lol I tried a couple more times, did something else for a while, then tried some more.   After the first one I managed to stay on my feet for the trip back down (although have to admit the slide was a lot of fun and less terrifying than running straight down).  My goal was to just tap the top, knowing fully well that even if I could reach it I didn't have the strength to pull myself up (esp at the *end* of the adventure!).  This is still a goal on the "for next time" list ;).  Although not sure how one practices for this without, in fact, having a wall to run up *g*.   So no, I didn't make it to the top.  Chris says I got within a foot, so we're going with that :).   

On the smaller wall (from the Over, Under or Through pic with the yellow cheverons) I could get up and wrap my hand around the bar, but still didn't have the strength left to pull myself up.   That one I actually found more intimidating as there was no slope up so you're literally jumping up the wall, not just running up a very steep slope.

So yeah, a super fun day that I will definitely be feeling tomorrow; actually, am feeling right now *sigh*.  I was hoping it might inspire a return to fitness -- we'll see ;).  But yeah, anybody who wants to go, just give me a shout. I'm definitely in.


0 comments:

Post a Comment