Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

What do cows, university, and running have to do with one another?

So today the elevator told me that tomorrow it will have been 19 years exactly since Mum and I drove me to my first day at university.  WTF?!?!?!  How is that even possible?  I swear it was like 5 yrs ago.  Sheesh.
It also told me that in New Zealand somebody stole 500 milk cows.  Let’s just contemplate this for a moment – how, exactly, does one steal 500 cows???   And once one has 500 cows, what does one do with them?   They’re not even food cows, they’re drink cows. 

Given my inability to wrap my head around that, it can’t possibly have been 19 years since the day I drove to Fredericton for the first time.  But then I started to think of all the things that hadn't happened yet at that point:
  • Experiencing the alternate reality that is university
  • Australia, New Zealand
  • My first apartment
  • Sherlock
  • Finally receiving two undergrad degrees from UNB
  • Backpacking and riding in Europe
  • First non-co-op “grown-up” job at BrandIntel
  • Bilbo
  • MA from UofT
  • The life experience that was Myrddin
  • Visiting Lissa in Scotland
  • Zel
  • Equine Science from UoG
  • My working student adventure in the US (another alternate reality)
  • A whole lot of writing
  • Banff vacation with Mum
  • Learning to appreciate how artists think at Overdrive
  • Cuba with Kerri
  • The highs and lows of GRS
  • My closest friends all randomly deciding to have children
  • Sasha
  • My first book
  • Cuba with Chris
  • Starting work at the bank
  • Costa Rica with EVERYbody – almost ;)
  • Our wedding!   Still not really real to me…  Didn’t I just leave for frosh week like a year ago?
  • Surviving a completely gutted house renovation
  • ALL the eye surgeries
  • Dominican disaster – there had to be a negative trip eventually!
  • Buying a house
Okay maybe it has been a while.  But it doesn’t feel that long ago till I work through everything that’s happened since then.  Which then partially makes me feel really old and partially makes me glad at least interesting things *have* happened in that time ;)   And sort of excited to see what will happen next...
Anyways – random running update…  I’m still following the schedule, although tired *all* the time since my body is a little in shock.  I'm hoping it acclimatizes soon, because the times I'm posting right now are pretty sad :(   There’s a path not far from the house that I have a love/hate relationship with.  It’s just a little over a km to run the full circle, it’s by the waterfront and gorgeous, but includes wicked hills that are completely unreasonable.  Anyways – it’s conveniently just shy of a km away, so I run there, do a few laps, run home.   However, in doing my laps, I may pass the same people a few times (esp if they’re going the opposite direction).   And since I have the cutest running partner in the world, people notice her, and thus me.   The other day an older gentleman and his lady friend were fairly amused by this and started counting.   I got “that’s two, how many more to go?”, and then on the next round, “great job!” lol.  It’s the little things in life, but it made me smile.

Sasha thinks our current schedule is a great improvement over her recent life -- but then she gets every-other day off since she doesn’t come with me when I bike ;)   She also thinks that being able to come with me while I teach again is exactly as life should be too, so I have a mostly happy puppy these days  :)   I’m sure nearly as good as being at the farm all day, or even having Bailey to play with all the time, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction.

Very tired puppy after our weekend run

0 comments:

Post a Comment