Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

Ever had the kind of day where you trip over a sunbeam?

Okay -- so this winter Lexi pretty much had off...  Can't imagine why.  Regardless, the last couple weeks she's been slowly getting back into work.   She's a fun horse.  More challenging in unusual ways than I'd expected.  But the only thing I don't care for is that from the beginning though has always been behind the leg and rather lazy.  Not my usual type.  There's a whole lot of TB in her, but I've yet to see it.

Anyways -- decided after seeing a video (ugh, video...) of me playing around on her the other day that it's time to get her in front of my leg and going forward.  Fine.  Goal established.

Alright, well I don't know who told my horse about said goal.  But "you want forward, I'll give you forward."  She was super quiet grooming and tacking up -- normal at that time of day.  Head down to the arena -- she grew a little walking around.  Fair, given that I set up a course since the last time she was in there.  First sign I might be in trouble -- we had to discuss standing to mount.  This hasn't been an issue for a very long time.

Ummmm okay.  Start walking.  Very hollow, very high, very add.  But still in a walk.  And a short icky walk of varying numbers of beats.  Blah.  Okay up to trot.  Ummmmm trot traditionally has two beats...   Nope.  Cantering.   I don't know where she thought she was going to go in an indoor ring, but she was going to get there today.   Reasonably agreeable -- other than one massive buck (so glad she didn't repeat that; a second one would've tossed me) she would let me steer and was holding her line, but faster and faster...  Minor series of hoppy type bucks -- those were pretty funny although I was a little concerned they might lead to the real ones again.

Around and around...  Switch direction and do the same thing the other way.  Kid on a merry-go-round.  Faster than I remember merry-go-rounds being as a kid, but fairly amusing.  And conveniently she's still not very fit, so eventually she got tired and deigned to trot.  On the plus side, my concerns about her not having enough speed for xc are pretty much gone now ;)

Rest of the ride was amazing.  Forward.  Awesome, huge, floaty trot.  So much fun.   Did have a good laugh when she tripped over a sunbeam though.  Sadly, I'm not even kidding.  We'll put it down to not having seen sun in a while ;)   

I have no idea where this horse came from, but I'm really hoping she sticks around!

1 comments:

Gracie has the same problem with sunbeams. ;-) There was some serious giraffe vibe in the air today, I think. We had a little bucking spree - not sure I've ever got that from G! So perhaps all this silly is a true sign of spring?

 

Post a Comment