Here there be dragons...

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." - Winterson

Night time is really the best time to work. All the ideas are there to be yours because everyone else is asleep. ~Catherine O'Hara

I am a creature of the night.  To the best of my recollection, I have always BEEN a creature of the night.   About 10:00 I wake up, by midnight I feel alive, and by 3am inspired.

I love the night sky -- sitting out in the blackness with an endless blanket of sparkling lights above me, feeling both completely insignificant and as though the whole world is mine all at the same time.  That just doesn't happen during the day.   Or with a brilliant moon, seeing the world lit only subtly, revealing the mystery behind otherwise ordinary objects, and the secrets hidden in the complex.  What would the moonlight reveal about you?   All this in extreme quiet, broken only occasionally by the other nocturnal creatures.   Would you break the silence?

At night I can read or write, dream or plan (and those who know me realize how very closely those two words are related! :), think, study, or even do productive albeit mundane things like clean.  During the daylight hours somehow even IF I had time, these things rarely seem to happen.  And these things being done, I feel much more alive.

The issue?  14h work days mean nights have to be spent primarily asleep.  Boooo.

But tomorrow, for the first time in I have no idea how long, barring anything catastrophic happening, I get a WHOLE DAY OFF.   Woohoo!   Thanks to Stephy and Kirby and the fact that I don't teach on Wed nights, I can sleep in as long as I very well please.  Which means that for this one night I need not set an alarm, and I can spend it as it was meant to be spent :)

May make Thurs a little dodgy since I switch from days to nights significantly faster than I switch from nights to days, but sobeit *g*

And now, I'm going to shut my computer down, and listen to the clock tick as my mind wanders.  Who knows where it may end up?

0 comments:

Post a Comment